Friday, March 21, 2008

The Perils of Florida Living







Florida has thousands of miles of gorgeous sandy beaches and tropical temperature waters but many dangers lurk beneath the deep. Sharks also seem to be all around lately as the last time I went to the beach near my house I saw the posts above warning bathers from a migrating school of "spinner" sharks (image below) very close to the coast. They are called spinners because they leap out of the water in a rotating motion when they grab prey, hopefully just fish. Needless to say I didn't even dip my toe in the water as the idea of sharks nearby terrify me. I did look intently at the ocean all afternoon that day but didn't catch any glimpses of the so-called spinners.
This past Sunday I was chatting with someone at the gym and he tells me that at another beach a few miles from my house beach-goers could see sharks (spinners?) very close to shore trying to attack seabirds that were too dumb to know not to float right before the waves. S-C-A-R-Y!

No comments: