Monday, August 13, 2007

Ilha Fiscal











I found this sign while visiting Ilha Fiscal, in Rio, this past Friday, August 10Th. The contrast of this very modern-ish every-day sign against this 1889's small castle caught my eye. It was attached to one of the smaller buildings, a power station next to the main construction. The guided tour was a bit boring to my taste and I was disappointed with the place itself. After hearing so much about the island where was held the last ball of the Portuguese Empire in Brazil I must confess that I expected something like Versailles, full of gilt and mirrors. I am not a fan of Gothic architecture or stone walls and the whole look inside was quite plain and furnished with just replicas of period furniture. I will say that the parquet floors and the stained glass windows were quite beautiful and well done. The place is well kept, was renovated in the late 80's and the guides were quite courteous and informative. It was worth the trip but it would not be on my top 10 list of things to see in Rio.

Portuguese http://www.rio.rj.gov.br/riotur/pt/atracao/?CodAtr=1519

No comments: