Friday, September 21, 2007

Cool Shop in Rio: Carlos Tufvesson







I had just dinned around Nossa Senhora da Paz Square in Ipanema this past Tuesday night, with my "special friend" A. As I had eaten way more than I should have, we decided to stroll around a bit towards Lagoa, to walk off some extra calories. We were on Rua Nascimento Silva when I spotted this great mural outside of Brazilian fashion designer Carlos Tufvesson's shop/atelier. At first I thought it was some work site that had been graffiti-ed or something like that. But I came to find out that this new mural was commissioned to coincided with the launch of his new Summer 2008 line, that was inspired by graffiti art and artist Roy Lichtenstein. They hired street-artist MENT to show off his talent on the shop walls and the results were breath-taking. The colors really popped as the mural had just been finished the night before and the very bright spot lights didn't let you miss a single hue of acid yellow and hot pink. As I was taking pictures outside, one of the atelier workers asked me where was I from, etc., because Veja Rio magazine was going to be there the next morning for a cover shoot about the mural. He was concerned that images would be "leaked" by the press before the official unveiling but I told him not to worry, as I was just a mere blogger...


No comments: